Professional LearningThe Public Schools of Northborough and Southborough professional learning is designed to develop educators’ knowledge and understanding, sustain growth and lead to refinements in practice. This is a collaborative and iterative process that expands educators’ capacity to improve student learning. The District’s professional learning culture is built on a foundation of trust, mutual interdependence, an active role by all educators, and a shared belief that improved student learning must remain the ongoing goal of all professional learning.
The following are tenants of the District’s professional learning experiences:
Professional Development Overview
- Experiences that are ongoing and situated within the educator’s practice, rather than “one‐shot” or “one and done” experiences that may or may not connect to practice (except in limited circumstances)
- Continuous cycles of doing, reflecting/discussing, and refinement
- Feedback loops from colleagues, coaches, and/or supervisors to assist the educator in reflecting on practice and determining any changes that may be necessary
- Data supports the ongoing improvement of teaching and learning
- External research and access to experts helps support the development of educators' instructional practice and content knowledge
- Learning about content, balanced with learning about pedagogy
Professional Development Overview - 2020-2021
In the 2020-2021 academic year, educators will be engaged in the following professional development days.
Aug. 31, 2020 - Sept. 14, 2020: Reimagining Learning ‘20-’21
Reimagining Learning Daily Agendas (with video links)
Sept. 15, 2020 - Professional Development Day (Teacher Return Day)
Oct. 5 & Oct 19, 2020- Half- day Building-based Professional Development
Nov. 3, 2020 - District Professional Development Day
March 5, 2021 - Building-based Professional Development Day
Flex-PD: Converted to six hours of PD to be completed between July 1, 2020, and June 1, 2021.